NEW MOON (TWILIGHT #2) – STEPHANIE MEYER

I knew we were both in mortal danger. 
Still, in that instant, I felt well.  Whole.  I could feel my heart racing in my chest, the blood pulsing hot and fast through my veins again.  
For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen.  But being in love with a vampire is even more dangerous than Bella could have imagined.  Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of one evil vampire, but now their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them.

Following a chain of ill-fated happenings, Edward and the rest of the Cullen family leave Forks to protect Bella from other supernatural forces.  Bella is shattered, wandering around like a zombie and feeling as though a piece of her is missing with the Cullens gone.  It is not until Bella begins a friendship with local boy Jacob Black that she discovers just how dead she was inside.  As their friendship flourishes, however, it is clear that all is not as it seems in Forks: Jacob’s growing romantic feelings towards Bella, the odd behaviour of a number of Jacob’s friends and several mysterious murders all threaten Bella’s ’normal’ human existence.

Reading this second instalment of The Twilight Saga, I seriously could not sort out how I felt about everything that was happening.  My emotions were all over the place.  Much like Twilight, I really liked this novel aside from a few language discrepancies or the actions of Bella.  I feel like it will be the same for the rest of the series but it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. 

This was a book that I did not want to put down.  The long chapters are kind of annoying because I don’t like stopping in the middle of a chapter but sometimes it had to be done.  And then, of course, there were the times when I’d say ’just one more chapter’ and suddenly I look to find that an hour has passed and I find myself in the middle of my 5th new chapter.  

A lot of people say that Stephanie Meyer isn’t the best writer, and I can't say I entirely disagree.  But I think she covers it nicely with the use of first-person narration.  The voice of the shy, clumsy and awkward protagonist, Bella, is actually really powerful.  What I particularly love is the way the feelings in this book were brought to life; the power and complexity of emotions and relationships, the pain of loss, the anger of betrayal, all expressed so remarkably.  The emotion is the strong point of Meyer's writing and she emphasises it flawlessly.

With this book you really just have to get through the first 200 pages or so before sitting back to enjoy the rest.  Aside from the first 200 pages I struggled to drag myself away from this book.
It is a light read, perfect if you want to get away from society for a while.  I found that it took me a really short amount of time to get through the series and that it provided me with a bit of a release from the stress and exhaustion that I was feeling at the time.

This is a series that I find I can’t put down.  It has a way of dragging you in.  Personally, I’d recommend.  I’ve read a lot worse than the Twilight series in my lifetime...

Rating: 2.5/5



Get your hands on it from Book Depository here or, for a crazy low price, Amazon here.


Comments

Popular Posts